Thursday, August 30, 2012

Waiver Wire Wednesday! Plus - The Bench of the Cause

Nothing says, "I'm not confident that I'll be able to continue coming up with interesting post topics!" quite like a running weekly gimmick. With that said, I give you Waiver Wire Wednesday, where I will discuss how I attempt to pan for fantasy gold in the neverending river of fantasy talent known as the Draft and Draught waiver wire!

But first, allow me to introduce you to the players most likely to get axed in favor of emerging stars as the season moves along:

Shonn Greene, RB: Somehow, no matter what I do, I seem to get saddled with Greene. He has great opportunity value, as he is the clear-cut number 1 option on a run-first team. Moreover, there is some upside in Tim Tebow's presence on the roster. Rushing quarterbacks tend to increase a running back's value, and Tebow made Willis McGahee a very productive fantasy back last year. Now for the bad news: Shonn Greene might not be very good at football, and the Jets may not be, either. If those things are true, it might not matter how much opportunity Greene gets. That being said, he makes a viable flex option and a decent bye week fill in, if nothing else.

CJ Spiller, RB: Spiller found himself stuck behind Fred Jackson on the Buffalo depth chart for the first half of last season. When FJax got hurt, though, Spiller showed a lot of promise as an every-down back. Once again, though, he is on the wrong end of a time-share, and will likely only have real value if Jackson's injury keeps him from being fully productive.

Mark Ingram, RB: Ingram is probably the goal line back for the Saints. Moreover, the Saints did spend a high draft pick on him, once upon a time, and they will want to get value out of that pick. Unfortunately, the backfield is a bit cluttered in New Orleans, and it's entirely possible Ingram isn't very good. He is more of a lottery ticket than anything else - I'm betting that there's a chance he finds his collegiate form at some point.

DeAngelo Williams, RB: D-Will was a superstar not terribly long ago, and though he is getting older, the Panthers did give him a new contract. He will split time with Jonathan Stewart this season (as per always...), but Stewart went down in the preseason with a slight ankle injury. I'm not convinced that Williams is entirely cooked, and with Stewart out, Williams may have an opportunity to re-establish himself as a quality fantasy starter. Maybe.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR: Apart from being named after a Roman senator, Heyward-Bey has finally found himself with a decent opportunity to be a solid fantasy starter. His quarterback, Carson Palmer, was pretty good during the second half of last year, and the other Oakland wide receiver, Denarius Moore (Oakland apparently has a Roman senator thing), will help spread the defense and remove coverage from DHB. Heyward-Bey was inconsistent last season, but he finished strong. I like him as a solid sleeper for this year.

Lance Moore, WR: Fun fact - For the past two seasons, Moore has led all Saints wide receivers in touchdowns. What more could I want from a bench wide receiver?

Randall Cobb, WR: Cobb is a wide receiver on one of the most prolific passing offenses in NFL history. So what if he's way down their depth chart? One injury to a starter, and Randall Cobb will have some serious value. He was my last positional pick in my draft (I grabbed my defense and kicker in the final two rounds), so I like his chances as a simple roll of the dice.

This brings us to Waiver Wire Wednesday! As our draft happened just days ago, I did not plan on dropping anyone this week. I did, however, open up a roster slot by moving Ryan Mathews into one of my two Injured Reserve slots. With that slot, I set my waiver priority on Rashad Jennings, the backup running back for Jacksonville, in the hopes that Maurice Jones-Drew never signs a contract this season. Alas, I did not get my first choice, so I settled on wide receiver Kendall Wright, a "lightning-quick playmaker who is deadly with the ball in his hands." Hey, ESPN.com said it, so it must be true! We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment